Now that it’s officially fall, this #tbt post (a new concept I’m trying because I’m behind on posting) seems completely necessary.
Seeing as boating on Lake Michigan has been on my to-do list for awhile, you could imagine my excitement when, late in the summer, we chartered a yacht for my bestie Tara’s bachelorette party.
I can’t recommend this enough! Here are my five tips for enjoying your time on the water:
1. Take lots of photos, including selfies. For some Chicagoans, getting on the water is a common thing (lucky devils), but for the rest of us, this opportunity is once in a lifetime–so document it. Must-take photos include (but are not limited to): group photos, skyline photos, photos with the captain, posh/diva photos, and sunset photos.
2. Skip short skirts/dresses and heels. I learned this the hard way. It’s windy, and there’s a ladder to the upper deck. Need I say more?
3. Don’t go below deck unless you have to. This is especially for my seasick friends. As long as I had fresh air, I was in good condition.
4. Be a tourist. You get such a great tour of the city on Lake Michigan and the Chicago River. Take advantage and pay attention to your surroundings. Repeat tip #1.
5. Have a good time! Being on a boat is an awesome experience. Be silly, be funny, live it up!
I’m so grateful to Tara and her sister for organizing this! Tara is getting married this weekend, and I couldn’t be more excited. I realized over the weekend that we’ve been friends for 20 years, which is just crazy and brings me a lot of joy. I am so happy for her and her husband-to-be. Wishing you both a lifetime of love and happiness! Xo